CQ-IGS Iron and Hydrogen Sulfide Filtration Media
Crystal Quest Iron and Hydrogen Sulfide water filter systems contain the iron and hydrogen sulfide removing media CQ-IGS. CQ-IGS is formulated from a glauconite green sand which is capable of reducing iron, manganese and hydrogen sulfide from water through oxidation and filtration. Soluble iron and manganese are oxidized and precipitated by contact with higher oxides of manganese on the CQ-IGS granules. The hydrogen sulfide is reduced by oxidation to an insoluble sulfur precipitate. Precipitates are then filtered and removed by backwashing. When the oxidizing capacity power of the CQ-IGS bed is exhausted, the bed has to be regenerated with a weak potassium permanganate (KMnO4) solution, thus restoring the oxidizing capacity of the bed. 1½ to 2 ounces of potassium permanganate, in solution, per cubic foot of CQ-IGS is considered sufficient for normal regeneration. It is required to vigorously backwash and regenerate the bed when it is placed in service and before its oxidation capacity is totally exhausted. Operating the bed after oxidation capacity is exhausted will reduce its service life and may cause staining.ADVANTAGES
- Iron reduction over wide pH range.
- Effective reduction of hydrogen sulfide in addition to iron and/or manganese.
- No harmful effects from a chlorine feed.
- Low attrition for long bed life.
- Color: Black
- Bulk Density: 85 lbs./cu. ft.
- Specific Gravity: 2.4-2.9
- Effective Size: 0.30-0.35 mm
- Uniform Coefficient: 1.6
- Mesh Size: 16-60
- Attrition Loss Per Year: 2%
CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
- Water pH range: 6.2-8.5
- Maximum water temperature: 80°F/26.7°C
- Bed depth: 30 in.
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Regeneration: 1.5-2 oz of KMnO4 by weight per cu. ft.
- Service flow rate: 6 gpm
- Backwash flow rate: 5 gpm
- Backwash bed expansion: 40% of bed depth (min.)
- Maximum practical limit of iron (Fe++) or manganese(Mn++) in raw water: 15 ppm
- Maximum practical limit of hydrogen sulfide (H2S): 5 ppm
- Service Flow Rate: Service flow rate is the maximum gallons per minute recommended for obtaining excellent water quality. Exceeding the service flow rate will cause a reduction in the product water quality.
- Backwash Flow Rate: Backwash flow rate is the minimum gallons per minute recommended for proper reclassification of the media or resin. Insufficient backwash flow rate will cause inadequate media or resin reclassification and, over time, may reduce its effectiveness.
- Calculating Your Flow Rate: You will need a watch with a second hand and a 1 or 5 gallon container to measure your flow rate with the instructions below.
- Using the bathtub as the measuring point, open BOTH the hot and cold water faucets completely (If you have a well water supply, wait until the pump kicks on before continuing.)
- Place either a 1 or 5 gallon container under the faucet and measure the amount of time it takes to fill the container in seconds.
- Refer to the chart below. Find the row on the left that contains the size of the container you used to fill with water, either 1 or 5 gallons.
- Then, find the column across the top that is closest to the number of seconds in took to fill the container.
- The value in the table at the intersection of the row and column you determined is your flow rate in gallons per minute.
|Seconds to Fill Container
|Container Capacity (gal)
Not All Water Filter Systems Are Created Equal!
Crystal Quest® water filters remove hundreds of contaminants and LAST A LONG TIME. The unique high capacity and multi-stage design means no more over-priced and less effective water filters with replacement filter cartridges that have to be replaced every 100 to 500 gallons!
Pure Water Essentials offers Crystal Quest® water filtration products because Crystal Quest utilizes the latest technologies in the water industry coupled with 30 years of manufacturing expertise to provide you with high capacity, the most effective, healthiest and great-tasting water conveniently and at the most affordable price. Crystal Quest products are attractive, easy to install and use.
Crystal Quest Water Filter Reviews
The CRYSTAL QUEST® Pitcher Water Filter and Shower Filter were awarded "Best Buys" in the August 2006 issue of Consumers Digest magazine.
The CRYSTAL QUEST® Pitcher Water Filter, Shower Filters, Faucet Mount Water Filters, Countertop Plus Water Filter, Reverse Osmosis Filters, Refrigerator Filters, and Travel Water Filters have been recommended in "The Drinking Water Book - How to Eliminate Harmful Toxins From Your Water" (second edition 2006) by Colin Ingram, on pages 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 134 and 160.