CQ-TN Tannin Removal Filtration Media
All Crystal Quest Tannin water filters contain the Tannin removing media, CQ-TN. CQ-TN is a special purpose ion exchanger specifically designed to remove tannins, organic color, and other naturally occurring organics including organo-metallic complexes (such as heme iron) from water. CQ-TN is intended primarily for use as an organic trap in a stand-alone unit in conjunction with other ion exchange processes such as softening or demineralization. In certain situations CQ-TN can be used in the same vessel as the softener resin, as a separate upper layer. It is supplied in the chloride form as moist, tough, uniform spherical beads
Features & Benefits
- SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO REMOVE NATURALLY OCCURRING ORGANICS (NOM).
- COMPLIES WITH FDA REGULATIONS FOR POTABLE WATER APPLICATIONS: Conforms to paragraph 21CFR173.25 of the Food Additives Regulations of the F.D.A.
- REVERSIBLE EXCHANGE OF ORGANICS – LONG LIFE: Provides unequaled capability to reversibly remove naturally occurring organic matter. In this regard it is far superior to normal anion exchange resin.
- NO FISHY ODOR: Gives very little or no fishy odors even in applications where other resin types such as acrylics fail because of odor.
OPERATING CAPACITY AND REGENERANT CONTACT TIME: The potential throughput capability is dependent on the water analysis and the level of both sulfate and TOC. However, the actual multiple cycle operating capacity is also limited by the amount of organics that can be regenerated from the resin. At regenerant levels above 10 lbs./cu. ft. the contact time is more important than the dose level for removing organics from the resin.
Above 10 lbs./cu.ft. dose, the amount of organics removed during regeneration will be proportional to the total contact time of the regenerant in the resin bed, including the displacement rinse (slow rinse) plus
the post-regenerant soak time for up to 100 minutes. Longer
contact times provide only marginal benefit. It is recommended that
a minimum regenerant contact time of 60 minutes be used. If more
capacity is needed, then a post-regenerant soak between the regenerant introduction
and the displacement should be added.
Once the potential throughput capacity is determined, the regenerant
contact time and dose required to remove the organics is determined.
Comprehensive performance information is available for specific water analysis
(bicarbonate, chlorides, sulfate, and TOC) from the ResinTech Technical
In some cases the regeneration process will limit the throughout capacity.
Gals/cu.ft.= 94000 / (ppm SO4 as CaCO3) + (TOC as C x .75)
For example, the formula shows the maximum available throughput for
a single cycle use: These levels can only be sustained if the regeneration removes
the loaded organics otherwise a lesser throughout capacity will
be realized.Typical Properties:
Suggested Operating Conditions:
- Polymer Structure: Unique porous Styrene with DVB
- Functional Group: R-N- (CH3) 3 +Cl-
- Ionic Form: Chloride
- Physical Form Tough: Spherical Beads
- Screen Size Distribution: 20 to 50 Nominal
- +20 mesh ( U.S. Std): Less than 20 Percent.
- - 50 mesh ( U.S. Std): Less than 1.0 Percent
- pH Range: 0 to 14
- Water Retention: Chloride Form 70 to 85 Percent
- Solubility: Insoluble
- Swelling C1- to OH- form: approx. 30%*
*OH cycle operation not recommended
- Maximum Temperature
- Hydroxide Form: OH cycle operation not recommended
- Salt form: 170oF
- Minimum Bed Depth: 24 inches for stand-alone
6 inches for layered beds*
- Backwash Rate: 50 to 75% Bed Expansion
- Regenerant (3 choices):
- 10% NaCl
- 10% NaCl plus 0.5% NaOH
- 5-10% NaCl plus 0.5% Na2CO3
- Regenerant Temperature: 60 to 120o F
- Regenerant Flow Rate: 0.1 to 0.5 gpm / cu.ft.
- Regenerant Level: At least 10 pounds NaCl/ cu.ft. plus a proportional amount of NaOH or Na2CO3
- Post Regenerant Soak Time: As necessary, at end of regenerant contact, to make total contact time
reach at least 60 minutes.
- Displacement Rinse Rate: Same as Regenerant Flow Rate
Displacement Rinse Volume 10 to 15 gal. /cu.ft.
- Fast Rinse Rate: Same as Service Flow Rate
- Fast Rinse Volume: 35 to 60 gal. /cu.ft.
Service Flow Rate 1 to 2 gpm /cu.ft. (for best performance)
* Layered beds (cation plus ResinTech SIR-22P-HP) require frequent regenerations and significantly
lower flow rates during regeneration. Capacity is lower than stand alone systems and leakage is higher.
Not All Water Filter Systems Are Created Equal!
Crystal Quest® water filters remove hundreds of contaminants and LAST A LONG TIME. The unique high capacity and multi-stage design means no more over-priced and less effective water filters with replacement filter cartridges that have to be replaced every 100 to 500 gallons!
Pure Water Essentials offers Crystal Quest® water filtration products because Crystal Quest utilizes the latest technologies in the water industry coupled with 30 years of manufacturing expertise to provide you with high capacity, the most effective, healthiest and great-tasting water conveniently and at the most affordable price. Crystal Quest products are attractive, easy to install and use.
Crystal Quest Water Filter Reviews
The CRYSTAL QUEST® Pitcher Water Filter and Shower Filter were awarded "Best Buys" in the August 2006 issue of Consumers Digest magazine.
The CRYSTAL QUEST® Pitcher Water Filter, Shower Filters, Faucet Mount Water Filters, Countertop Plus Water Filter, Reverse Osmosis Filters, Refrigerator Filters, and Travel Water Filters have been recommended in "The Drinking Water Book - How to Eliminate Harmful Toxins From Your Water" (second edition 2006) by Colin Ingram, on pages 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 134 and 160.